5 ways to cook with pumpkins
Who here is planning to carve some jack-o-lanterns this week? Who here is also tired of using the pumpkin meat to cook the same old pumpkin bread and same old pumpkin pie?
We all know the importance of not wasting the inside of the pumpkin, so here are 5 different things to try out:
1. Pumpkin Ice Cream. Try this recipe from Williams-Sonoma. You will not regret it. It is delectable on its own or is also tasty on top of a slice of homemade bread pudding.
2. Pumpkin Pasta Dishes. Most people think of pumpkin as being something sweet, but I love a savory pumpkin dish. I can't resist ordering pumpkin ravioli whenever I see it on a menu. While homemade ravioli can be kind of a pain to make, stuffed shells is a much easier option. Check out this recipe for Pumpkin-Ricotta Stuffed Shells.
3. Pumpkin Curry. I've actually never had a pumpkin curry, but the idea popped into my head recently, so I Googled it, and I'm dying to try this recipe. It sounds fantastic with some basamati rice and/or garlic naan!
4. Pumpkin Hummus. For a healthy snack or an appetizer to serve with pita bread at a Halloween party next week, try using a pumpkin puree in homemade hummus!
5. Pumpkin Cookies. NOM NOM NOM! In case you or your kids get tired of all that Halloween candy (is that possible?) here's a pumpkiny, yummy dessert: Old-Fashioned Soft Pumpkin Cookies.
** Some of these recipes call for a can of pureed pumpkin. Instead of using canned pumpkin puree, follow one of these recipes from The Daily Green to make your own pumpkin puree.
Don't forget to roast those pumpkin seeds!
Please share your favorite pumpkin recipes!
This was originally posted on Keen For Green on 10/20/11.